• Santa Elena Canyon

    Rio Grande

    Wild & Scenic River Texas


Panther Junction Visitor Center
Panther Junction Visitor Center
NPS Photo\Cookie Ballou

Backcountry Use Permits

  • A Backcountry Use Permit is required for day use and overnight use on all sections of the Rio Grande administered by the National Park Service. Backcountry Use Permits must be obtained in person at one of the Big Bend National Park visitor centers during normal operating hours, and may be obtained up to 24 hours in advance of the trip. A backcountry use fee of $10.00 per permit is charged for all overnight use.
  • Backcountry use permits for Santa Elena Canyon (only) may also be obtained at the Barton Warnock Environmental Center.

Fishing Permits

A State fishing license is not required in Big Bend National Park, but a free NPS fishing permit (obtained from a visitor center) is required.A state license is required on the Rio Grande Wild and Scenic River outside the Park.

Did You Know?

Rangers at an illegal wax camp, 1950s

The harvesting and processing of the candellila plant into wax has long been a border industry. In the 1950s, illegal wax camps could be found in Mariscal, Boquillas and the Lower Canyons. Observant floaters can still see remains of these camps along the Rio Grande Wild & Scenic River today. More...