Road closings around Historic Tredegar May 17-19, 2013
Friday, May 17 through Sunday, May 19, some roads around Historic Tredegar will be closed for Dominion Riverrock. The park's visitor center will be open. Details can be found on the Historic Tredegar website using the link here. More »
Richmond National Battlefield Park Commemorates The Seven Days that Saved Richmond
Contact: Mike Andrus, 804 226-1981 x. 30
Richmond National Battlefield Park will present a series of talks, tours and living history programs to commemorate the 146th anniversary of the Seven Days Battles around Richmond. The week-long series will begin on June 26 at the Civil War Visitor Center at Tredegar Iron Works, and will end with a tour on July 1 of the Malvern Hill battlefield. Each program will begin at 7 p.m.; all battlefield tours are expected to last one and a half hours.
In the spring of 1862 George McClellan led the Union army to the gates of Richmond. Confederate General Joseph Johnston lay convalescing in the city, suffering from wounds received at the battle of Seven Pines on May 31. President Davis turned to his military advisor, Robert E. Lee, to take command of the forces defending the beleaguered capital. On the anniversary date of these momentous events, please join us as we walk the same fields the soldiers fought on.
All events are free. Visitors wishing to attend the evening walks should wear comfortable walking shoes (no flip-flops, please). Insect repellent is also recommended. Call 226-1981 for directions to the battlefield sites or go to the address page on the park web site for a list of street addresses.
Did You Know?
The first Marine Corps Medal of Honor was awarded to Corporal John Mackie for his conduct aboard the USS Galena at the battle of Drewry’s Bluff, May 15, 1862.