Brownsville is one of only a handful of places in the U.S. that have that have been involved in more than one war. The Mexican-American War’s first battle was fought over Fort Brown in modern-day Brownsville. Later, the battles of Palo Alto and Resaca de la Palma took place north of the city. In 1865, Confederate troops marched east from Fort Brown and fought at Palmito Ranch, the last battle of the Civil War. Because of Brownsville’s role as a gateway to Mexico, these battlefields are threatened by development. To help preserve them, the American Battlefield Protection Program has awarded four Battlefield grants in the past decade: Palmito Ranch archeological survey (2000), Resaca de la Palma archeological and resource survey (2002), Palmito Ranch cultural resource inventory (2009), and Fort Brown cultural landscape inventory (2010). These grants have generated enormous interest in battlefield preservation and, at Resaca de la Palma, helped save a National Historic Landmark.
Photo: The Palmito Ranch Battlefield looks much as it did in 1865 during the battle of Palmito Ranch.
– NPS/Kathleen Madigan, 2008
- American Battlefield Protection Program Grants - $26,000 grant; partner: University of Texas At Brownsville And Texas Southmost College, 2010 »
- American Battlefield Protection Program Grants - $20,285 grant; partner: Friends of the Texas Historical Commission, 2009 »
- American Battlefield Protection Program Grants - $29,500 grant; partner: City of Brownsville, 2002 »
- American Battlefield Protection Program Grants - $22,200 grant; partner: Brownsville Community Foundation, 2000 »
- National Register of Historic Places, listed 1993 »
- National Register of Historic Places, listed 1966 »