Ellicott City, Maryland
Vacant for many years, Oella Mill is a 1918 cotton mill that has been adapted for reuse as apartments. Originally operated by the Dicky family as the William J. Dickey & Sons Textile Mill, it occupies the site of an earlier mill called the Union Manufacturing Company. The mill closed its doors in the early 1970s, and the building was damaged by Hurricane Agnes. Thanks to a Federal Preservation Tax Incentive, a developer acquired the building and undertook the $43 million project. Today, the exterior brick facades are clean and repaired, new historically compatible windows are in place and the interior has been completely reconfigured as a modern apartment complex. Brick walls, concrete and wood floors, and the wood and iron structural systems have been left exposed.
Photo: The Oella Mill after $43 million rehabilitation
– NPS file