Gerrardstown, West Virginia
Constructed in 1883, the former Southern Methodist Episcopal Church of Gerrardstown, West Virginia, remains one of the most distinctive and impressive buildings in the village. The church’s congregation abandoned this Gothic Revival structure more than 50 years ago, but in 2007 new owners began a rehabilitation project that would save the structure and convert it into a community art space. With funding provided by the Federal historic tax credit program, the belfry of the church and pointed arch windows were repaired, and reproduction shutters and new mechanical systems were installed. Now the rechristened Apple Chapel is once again a community gathering place, only of a different sort.
Photo: Rehabilitation was nearly complete when the historic snowstorms of 2010 hit
– NPS file / Kevin L. Sarring