Cimarron Train Restoration
Black Canyon Of The Gunnison National Park

Engine 278 after restoration.
Denver & Rio Grande Western Engine #278 after restoration.
NPS

Quick Facts

GETTING READY FOR 2016:

A Call to Action
Action Item:
Invest Wisely
Year Accomplished:
2013

Engine 278 and its tender, key components of the historic interpretive display at the Cimarron area of Curecanti National Recreation Area, were restored over the winter and summer of 2011-2012 and returned to Cimarron in September.

Manufactured in 1882 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, PA, Engine 278 operated on the Colorado lines for the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad, Inc. (DRG). The engine was retired in 1952 and donated to the City of Montrose by DRG. It was leased to the National Park Service in 1973, and moved to Cimarron in 1974 where it was placed on exhibit on the trestle in the canyon. Engine 278 now awaits the repair of other cars and the trestle.