North Field, Tinian
North Field as it looked during World War II. The photo shows only three runways, which dates it sometime earlier than May 1945 when construction of Runway Four was completed. North Field was designed for an entire wing of B-29 Superfortresses, the 313th Bombardment Wing, with hardstands to park 265 B-29s. Each of the parallel runways stretched more than a mile and a half in length. Around and between the runways were nearly eleven miles of taxiways.
(Click on 'Back' or click here to return to report document)