In the summer of 1838, Henry Spalding and his wife moved their mission complex from Lapwai Creek to its present location, below the visitor center for Nez Perce National Historical Park. In 1974, archaeologists from the University of Idaho excavated the site and located the principal building and the subsequent additions made by Spalding. The evidence provides some insight into how Spalding built his complex - quickly and cheaply. The team did not find many artifacts, suggesting that Henry and Eliza did not have many personal possessions.
Download 1.7 MB