Guss Island as seen from the Commandant's House, circa 1872. Note the cleared area behind the island. It has long been held by islanders that this notch in the woods was cut by the Royal Marines so they could spot shipping traffic pushing up the Haro Strait.
This previously unpublished view shows several ladies resting beneath English Camp's venerable Bigleaf maple. The tree still stands near the formal garden, more than 340 years old. The photo was probably taken during Admiral Farquhar's visit.