• dogwood across creek

    Prince William Forest

    Park Virginia

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • NO FIREWORKS

    Reminder to park visitors. Fireworks are prohibited at Prince William Forest Park.

  • Oak Ridge Campground Site A29 closure

    Oak Ridge Campground site A29 will be closed until safety concerns have been mitigated. Please do not use that site until it has been reopened.

  • Warm Wet Spring = More Ticks

    Please check yourself and your pets for ticks continually during and after your visit. Ticks are less prevelent if you stay on trail or in mowed areas. Wearing light colored clothing helps you spot them before the attach.

  • Firewood

    Outside firewood is prohibited in Prince William Forest Park, unless it is certified USDA 'bug free' firewood. Dead and downed wood may be collected from designated areas for use while in the park. Help us protect the forest from invasive species!

  • Visitor Center Remodel 2014

    Over the next several months there will be new changes coming to the Visitor Center. Presently we are remodeling the bookstore area to give it more of a country theme. Next the exibit area will get all new exhibits. Thank you for your patience and support

Your Entrance Fees at Work

Since 1988, Prince William Forest Park has charged an entrance fee, which later evolved into the Congressionally-authorized Recreation Fee Demonstration Program, which allows federal land-management agencies to increase and retain entrance and user fees. The purpose of the program is to demonstrate the feasibility of using increased fees for the operation and maintenance of parks.

In the past, fees were deposited into the U.S. Treasury without any direct return to the parks. In contrast, the fee demonstration program allows participating parks to keep up to 80 percent of the new fee revenues and makes the remaining 20 percent available to other sites in the National Park System that are most in need.

At Prince William Forest Park, entrance fee revenue is used to fund a variety of needed projects that help maintain visitor facilities. The following are some examples of visitor entrance fee money being used to increase or maintain visitor facitilies:



Infirmary photo CC 2

Infirmary at Cabin Camp 2


Lead paint abatement or removal was required at the infirmary at Cabin Camp 2 prior to this facility being open to the public.



Dining Hall photo CC 5

Cabin Camp 5 Dining Hall


New floor coverings were installed at Cabin Camp 5 dining hall with fee money.



Interior photo of Visitor Center

Visitor Center Interior


Recycled material was used to provide new carpeting in the visitor center.

Other projects include an improved handicap accessible trail to the Oak Ridge Campground amphitheater and a new pavilion for reservation use of groups at Telegraph Road Picnic Area.

Prince William Forest Park thanks you for helping to make the park a safe and enjoyable place to visit.

Did You Know?

Did You Know?

Prince William Forest Park preserves the largest inventory of Civilian Conservation Corps structures (153) in the National Park System. Four of the five cabin camps are listed on the National Register of Historic Places as historic districts.