Public Health Service Hospital
The U.S. Marine Hospital was originally built on this site in 1875, and was replaced by the present Public Health Service Hospital structure in 1932. The Marine Hospital initially tended the needs of merchant seamen and expanded its duties when the Public Health Service took over in the 1930s, eventually caring for members of the U.S. Coast Guard and other governmental agencies, Native Americans and Vietnam refugees. The Public Health Service also conducted important research on plague and other communicable diseases here.
Two wings were added to the 1932 structure in the 1950s. After the hospital's closure in 1981, the Military Language Institute used part of the facility from 1982 to 1988. In 2010, the main building reopened as the Presidio Landmark apartments after removal of the 1950s wings and an addition to the back of the old hospital.