• East view from Crissy Field overlook with old Coast Guard station on left and city on right

    Presidio of San Francisco

    California

Officers club

undefined

The original Spanish Presidio of the 18th century surrounded these grounds.

This extensively remodeled structure was part of the original adobe fort erected by the Spanish. Adobe walls dating back to the early 1790s are incorporated into the front wings of what evolved into the Officers' Club of the early 1900s. In the 1930s the building was remodeled into a graceful Spanish Colonial Revival style structure with rustic Spanish-tile gable roofs, heavy, rough timber lintels and beams, and decorative ironwork. Today the Officers' Club temporarily houses the Natioanl Park Service visitor center and hosts traveling cultural exhibits. The Presidio Trust also rents rooms for special events.

Did You Know?

Fort Point, once called

In 1882, the fort now known as Fort Point was given the name "Fort Winfield Scott", a name it retained for four years before being downgraded to a sub-post of the Presidio. In 1912, the name was reused for the new coast artillery post at the Presidio, today's Fort Scott.