CAUTION: Post Storm Damage to Coastal Trail
The Presidio Coastal Trail segment just north of the Pacific Overlook and adjacent to Lincoln Blvd remains CLOSED indefinitely. We have posted signage to alert bicyclists and hikers and with information for safe trail alternatives. More »
Spanish Artillery: Poder
National Park Service, GGNRA
The Poder is an 8-pound cannon cast in Peru in 1673. Originally emplaced at the Castillo de San Joaquin to guard the entrance to the San Francisco Bay, the cannon was subsequently moved to Sonoma at the request of the Mexican Governor of Alta California.
On July 20, 1846, Captain Montgomery of the U.S.S. Portsmouth sent a military detachment to retrieve the cannon and return it to the Presidio.
The Poder is located outside of the Officers' Club, Building 50.
Did You Know?
In 1882, the fort now known as Fort Point was given the name "Fort Winfield Scott", a name it retained for four years before being downgraded to a sub-post of the Presidio. In 1912, the name was reused for the new coast artillery post at the Presidio, today's Fort Scott.