A floor plan for one of the barracks on Montgomery Street.
The enlisted soldiers’ barracks on Montgomery Street—colloquially known as "Infantry Row"—were constructed to accommodate the influx of troops at the Presidio during the 1890’s, when many frontier forts were closed. Constructed in the Colonial Revival style
, these were among the first brick barracks constructed in the western United States and, as such, were a demonstration of the Presidio’s stature as a permanent and significant army post. The barracks—each of which housed a company of 110 soldiers—were all built according to the same floor plan; the first floor contained a recreation room, mess hall, and kitchen and the men slept on the upper two floors.