Primary: To assist park staff in performing monitoring and restoration tasks for the Dune Restoration project
Secondary: To assist park staff in performing monitoring and restoration tasks for the Giacomini Wetlands Restoration project and/or other park projects that entail working with vegetation, soils, and/or hydrology
- Help with monitoring of resources in the Dune Restoration project area and other park locations, including vegetation monitoring and plant surveys. May involve use of GPS and GIS, so experience in those areas is a definite plus.
- Help with data entry of monitoring data, validation of data, and cleaning up of existing databases
- Help with restoration activities, including, but not limited to, invasives removal, overseeing volunteer or contract invasive removal efforts, and oversight of other restoration-related activities
- Interest in botany or plant ecology
- Interest in dunes, wetlands, and/or restoration
- Ability/desire/willingness to identify plant species
- Ability to work outside for long periods in a range of conditions, hiking over occasionally rugged terrain
Training on specific monitoring protocols will be provided. Some plant identification skills would be helpful, although not necessarily a requirement.
Benefits to the Intern
- Education on dune ecology, rare plants, the impacts of non-native species, and the benefits of restoration
- Learn valuable field skills in monitoring vegetation, fish, hydrology, water quality, soils and/or invertebrates
- Learn valuable field skills in invasive plant species removal techniques
- Gain experience with GPS and GIS
- Gain experience with database management
- Personal enrichment and experience working in a national park setting
Schedule and Time Commitment
The internship will take place from May-August, with a possibility an extension beyond August; 4-5 days/week minimum (32-40 hours); 8 hour days
26; if you are ages 18-25, please apply through a specially funded program found at http://www.nps.gov/pore/parkmgmt/pcslc.htm
Accommodations and Reimbursements
The intern will be reimbursed for transportation to and from the park at $0.14/mile. Other compensation may be available. Housing and RV sites are not available for this position.
Application and Contact Information
Please apply under the Current Opportunities listing. For more information, contact Sarah Minnick at 415-464-5226 or email.
April 15, 2010
Top of Page