2014 Harbor Seal Pupping Season Closures
From March 1 through June 30, the park implements closures of certain Tomales Bay beaches and Drakes Estero to water-based recreation to protect harbor seals during the pupping season. Please avoid disturbing seals to ensure a successful pupping season. More »
2014 Winter Shuttle Bus Operations Have Ended
March 30, 2014, was the last day for the 2014 Winter Shuttle Bus System. Sir Francis Drake Blvd. is open daily from now through late December 2014. More »
Operational Changes Took Effect on May 1, 2013
The Lighthouse Visitor Center is now only open Fridays through Mondays; closed Tuesdays through Thursdays, including Thanksgiving. The Kenneth C. Patrick Visitor Center is open on weekends and holidays when shuttles are operating. More »
Temporary & Seasonal Employment
Youth Conservation Corps Program
Student Conservation Association
How to get a permanent position with the National Park Service
1. If you are currently a permanent employee of the Federal Government in a competitive service position, you may apply directly to published vacancies.
2. If you were a permanent employee of the Federal Government and served for 3 or more years in a permanent position, you have reinstatement eligibility for your lifetime and can apply for any advertised vacancy issued by the NPS (note: some vacancies may restrict applicants to "agency only" or "local commuting area only"). You may also be appointed directly to a position without competition at or below the grade level or the highest grade ever held in a permanent position with similar duties.
3. If you were a permanent employee of the Federal Government and served for less than 3 years and are a veteran, you have reinstatement eligibility for your lifetime and have the same rights as listed in # 2.
4. If you were a permanent employee of the Federal Government and served for less than 3 years and are NOT a veteran, you have reinstatement eligibility for three years from the date of your resignation. This three year period can be extended by intervening periods of temporary employment with the Federal Government. You have the same rights as described in # 2 for the length of your reinstatement eligibility.
5. If you served in the Peace Corps for two years and are within one year from your resignation date, you have non-competitive eligibility for Federal employment and can apply directly to advertised vacancies. If you meet qualifications, you may be directly appointed to a permanent or temporary position.
6. If you are eligible under the Veteran Readjustment Authority (VRA), you many apply directly to NPS vacancy announcements up to grade GS-11 or the equivalent in the Federal Wage System. If you meet qualifications, you may be appointed to a position which requires a 2-year employment period that often includes a training program. At the end of the 2-year period of successful employment, you can be converted to a permanent position without further competition.
7. If you are eligible as a 30% disabled veteran, you are a non-competitive candidate and may apply directly to NPS vacancies. If you meet qualifications, you may be appointed directly to a temporary position and later converted to a permanent position provided performance is satisfactory and a permanent position is available.
8. If you are eligible under the physically handicapped program, you are a non-competitive candidate and may apply directly to NPS vacancies. If you meet the qualification standards, you may be appointed directly to a temporary position and after 2 years of successful employment be converted to a permanent position without further competition.
9. If you have outstanding scholarship (3.5+ GPA on a 4.0 scale) from an undergraduate program and are applying for positions in certain occupations, you may apply directly to NPS vacancies at grades GS-5 or GS-7. If you are found qualified, you may be appointed directly to a permanent position.
10. If you enter into a temporary appointment under the Student Career Experience Program (SCEP) and have completed the employment service requirements with a Federal agency, you have non-competitive eligibility for 120 days following your graduation and may apply directly to NPS vacancies. You may also be appointed directly to a permanent position without competition.
11. If you do NOT fit in any of the above programs, you are like the majority of the applicants for Federal positions and must compete for a permanent position. The NPS advertises permanent job openings via the Internet through the Office of Personnel Management’s website called USAJOBS. Once in the website you can do an agency search and under the Department of Interior find the current NPS job openings. In order to apply for a permanent position you must find a job announcement that is open to ALL QUALIFIED applicants.
Did You Know?
A 1-foot sea level rise can lead to shorelines eroding back 100 feet, and increase the chances of a 100-year flood event in low coastal areas to once every 10 years. More...