Point Reyes Headlands Winter Shuttle Bus System
On weekends & holidays, Sir Francis Drake Boulevard is closed beyond the South Beach Road junction from 9 am to 5:30 pm during favorable weather conditions. Bus service to the Lighthouse & Chimney Rock is provided from Drakes Beach. More »
2014 Harbor Seal Pupping Season Closures
From March 1 through June 30, the park implements closures of certain Tomales Bay beaches and Drakes Estero to water-based recreation to protect harbor seals during the pupping season. Please avoid disturbing seals to ensure a successful pupping season. More »
Operational Changes Took Effect on May 1, 2013
The Lighthouse Visitor Center is now only open Fridays through Mondays; closed Tuesdays through Thursdays, including Thanksgiving. The Kenneth C. Patrick Visitor Center is open on weekends and holidays when shuttles are operating. More »
The bulk of the archeological materials in the collection are the result of excavations of known Coast Miwok sites within the park boundary during the late 1950s-1970s. For millennia the Coast Miwok people were the only inhabitants of what is now known as Marin and Southern Sonoma County in California. The tribe, federally recognized in 2000, makes up part of the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria which also includes the Southern Pomo people.
The materials are primarily lithics, debitage, worked obsidian, bone, shell, beads, as well as midden and faunal remains. The collection also includes rare 16th century European and Chinese manufactured materials excavated from Point Reyes archeology sites. They provide evidence of the first encounters on the West Coast of Northern California between indigenous people and Europeans and have been of interest to scholars worldwide. A large collection of blue and white Ming Dynasty porcelain sherds, iron and glass shards were recovered and in particular, some of the porcelain pieces were repurposed into adornments and tools.
The source of these European materials are the two recorded encounters which took place with the Coast Miwok in Point Reyes in the 16th century. In June of 1579, English explorer Sir Francis Drake and his crew encamped on Marin shores for six weeks while repairing the Golden Hind. Sixteen years later, in 1595, Captain Rodrigo Cermeno and crew were on shore when their Spanish Manila Galleon, San Agustin, loaded with cargo from Asia shipwrecked in Drakes Bay.
Associated records, studies and reports pertaining to prehistoric or historic archeology sites may also be available in the park archives. Site records are restricted.
Archeological materials recovered within the park boundaries are National Park Service property and must be retained in the park's museum collection in accordance with 43 CFR 7.13 and National Park Service Management Policies.
Did You Know?
Climate scientists warn that the safe upper limit for atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) concentrations is 350 parts per million (ppm). For most of human history, atmospheric CO2 rarely exceeded 275 ppm--until the industrial revolution. As of 2013, atmospheric CO2 was ~400 ppm–-and rising 2 ppm/year. More...