Reference Manual 41 (RM-41)
This Wilderness Stewardship Reference Manual #41 offers comprehensive guidance to National Park Service employees responsible for managing, conserving, and protecting wilderness character and resources found in National Park System units. This Reference Manual serves as the primary level 3 guidance for wilderness stewardship in units of the National Park System, replacing the 1999 version of the reference manual.
Some sections are still being revised while others have undergone a field review with comments from the field incorporated as applicable. The latter are considered in final form and are linked to from this page. In addition, as other level 3 guidance throughout the Service is finalized references to other National Park Service guidance may change.
Additional sections of this guidance will be added to this website as they are finalized. Please check back periodically for additional postings.
1. Background and Purpose
· National Park Service Wilderness Reports
3. Roles and Responsibilities
4. Training and Information
5. Identification and Designation of Wilderness Resource
6. Wilderness Stewardship
· Wilderness Character User Guide: Planning, Management and Monitoring not yet released
· Wilderness Stewardship Plan Handbook not yet released
· Wilderness Leadership Council White Papers
· Minimum Requirements Decision Guide Worksheets (Download)
7. Wilderness Use Management
----End of Reference Manual----