Fort Churchill - Silver Springs, Nevada
Indian raids and the interruption of Pony Express mail service spurred the construction of Fort Churchill on the banks of the Carson River. Captain Joseph Stewart and his men began building the fort on July 20, 1860, as a permanent installation, consisting of adobe buildings erected on stone foundations. This fort housed the Pony Express station in its headquarters building, which is still standing. When Richard Burton arrived on October 19, 1860, he gave it a positive review and named Captain F. F. Flint as the commander.
Fort Churchill State Historic Park preserves the ruins of the adobe fort and maintains a visitor center with interpretive exhibits in the headquarters building.Fort Churchill State Historic Park
Silver Springs, NV 89429