What starts its day at night, uses sound to find its food, and spends at least half of its life upside down?
If you said "a bat", you're right!
- There are nearly 1,000 types of bats, in an incredible variety of appearances
- Bats detect food and objects by echolocation
- Bats can eat over 1,000 mosquito sized insects in one night
- Bats live almost everywhere, but they are found in caves, buildings, and bridges the most
- Bats that feed on blood, don't actually suck blood. They make a small cut on an animal and lap up the blood (like dog laps water) that flows out
- Bats are not mice with wings - they are actually more closely related to humans than mice