The lakeshore developed a written Paints and Coatings Standard with these goals.
1. Maximize cost effectiveness of Lakeshore painting activities.
2. Reduce inventory of products and associated wastes.
3. Assure paint color uniformity throughout the Lakeshore and provide standard identification for visitors.
The benefit and effectiveness of the program have been realized in several ways.
· Quick determination of products/colors used for various painting activities.
· Allow for spot repair instead of whole item repainting.
· Assist procurement actions through the use of identified manufacturers.
· Reduce the number and variety of hazardous products in use.
· Reduce time and effort in hazardous materials inventory and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) information updating.
· Minimize product waste and waste disposal.
Did You Know?
In 1992, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore began installing photovoltaic powered well pump systems at its drive-in campgrounds. All remote water wells within the lakeshore are now solar-powered. More...