• High Peaks and Big Berry Manzanita. NPS Photo|Sierra Willoughby


    National Park California

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • No Fires - Fire Danger EXTREME - No Fuego

    No Fires in the campground, no smoking on the trails. Observe these rules to protect park resources. No se permite fumar en los senderos, tampoco se permite las fogatas en el campamento. Proteja los recursos del parque y respete las advertencias. More »

  • Fee Increase at Pinnacles National Park

    On August 1, 2014 the 7 day entrance pass for Pinnacles National Park will increase to $10 for passenger vehicles and motorcycles; bicycle and pedestrian entry will increase to $5.00. The Pinnacles Annual Pass will increase on August 1 to $20.00. More »




A special use permit is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large. These activities require some degree of management from the National Park Service in order to protect park resources, the public interest and their park experience.

Special use permits are required for events such as weddings, ceremonies, First Amendment activities, scattering cremation ashes, festivals, concerts, commercial photography and filming, cultural programs, sporting and public spectator attractions.


Any questions about the Special Park Use Permit Program at Pinnacles can be directed to:

Permit Coordinator, Pinnacles National Park, 5000 Highway 146, Paicines, CA 95043; phone (831) 389-4486, ext. 245; or FAX (831) 389-4288.


Dates of all activities are subject to approval by the Office of the Superintendent for possible conflict with park operations, or pre-scheduled programs and events. Specific dates are not guaranteed.


Applications for special use permits must be received no later than 30 days in advance to allow for processing comments and compliance review. However, it is strongly recommended that applicants submit their applications as early as possible to allow processing through environmental compliance and site plan development. Applications received less that 30 days in advance may be denied.

First amendment rights applications must be received five days in advance to allow processing comments and compliance review.

Applications for large group activities that occur within the park should be submitted at least 6 months in advance to allow for processing, comments, compliance, and authorization to advertise the event.


Special use and commercial photography/filming permits have a $50.00 non-refundable administrative fee.

Commercial use authorization permits have a $250.00 non-refundable administrative fee. Commercial use authorizations are issued no more than a one year period. Commercial use authorization permits can be renewed, if the most recent permit has been in good standing.

There are no administrative fees associated with First Amendment permits.


All permits are subject to cost recovery by the park and will be disclosed during the review process to the permitee. These additional fees are subject to a performance bond in advance, or followed by a bill of collection at the end of the event or project. Read forms PINN-172A and PINN-172B below for more details.


Federal park entrance fees are not waived by the administrative processing fee of a special use and commercial use authorization permit. Upon arrival to Pinnacles, entrance fees will be collected in accordance with federal recreational fee guidelines. Carpooling is strongly encouraged.


Most special use permits will require proof of liability insurance and will be addressed in the conditions of each permit. Read form PINN-172A, condition 8.


Commercial use authorization permits are required of all operators who provide any and all goods, activities, agreements or other services to the general public which take place, at least in part, in the park, uses park resources and are undertaken for or results in compensation, monetary gain, benefit or profit to an individual, organization or corporation, whether or not such entity is organized for purposes recognized as non-profit under local, state or federal law. This includes educational institutions.

Such guided services include environmental education; outdoor skills; naturalist walks, walks and hikes; art/painting workshops; bird watching; wildflower/plant walks; wilderness education; rock scrambling and climbing; photography classes; and fitness courses.

If the amount of money collected from all members of the group exceeds the actual expenses of the trip, the trip is classified as commercial use.


Permit applications for scattering cremation ashes can be obtained by calling the Permit Coordinator direct.

Questions related to permits and adjacent lands near the Pinnacles park boundary, i.e., right of way, etc, should be directed to the Chief Ranger of Pinnacles.


Following are the applications for Pinnacles’ Special Park Use Program. Review conditions of Special Use and Commercial Use Authorization permits NPS 172A and NPS 172B. Additional conditions may be applied to an individual permit after full compliance review, and will be documented on the final permit before signature and approval.

Application for Special Use Permit and Commercial Use Authorization (NPS 10-930 PINN)

Application for Commercial Photography/Filming Permit (NPS 10-931 PINN)

Following is the standard conditions for both the Special Use and Commercial Use Authorization Permits

Standard Conditions for Special Use and Commercial Use Authorization Permits (PINN 172A.Standard)

Following are the standard conditions for Commercial Use Authorizations (CUA) and the required forms once the CUA is approved.

Conditions for Commercial Use Authorization Permits (PINN-172B.CUA)

Commercial Use Authorization Trip Itinerary (PINN-152)

Commercial Use Authorization Annual Survey (PINN-128)


Did You Know?

Pinnacles ISWAP logo

Pinnacles National Park offers comingled recycling of many materials, including cans, glass, paper, cardboard, and plastics 1 - 7. During your visit, just look for one of our recycling bins in any of our parking areas.