The Memorial Column and Observation Deck are currently closed due to restoration. The Memorial reopen for the weekends of Oct. 18 – 19, Oct. 25 – 26 and Nov. 1 – 2, contingent on the restoration process. The Visitor Center is open until Nov. 2. More »
Lake Erie Islands
Rattlesnake Island, consisting of 85 acres, is located 2 miles northwest of Put-in-Bay, past Gibraltar Island. Some claim the island was once covered with rattlesnakes, while others say the name is derived from the shape, with the two tiny islands off its western tip representing the rattles. Today Rattlesnake is a privately owned resort.
Looking in a westerly direction, 15 miles distant, is West Sister Island. Currently a National Wildlife Refuge and a haven for many species of shore birds, it was near West Sister that the Battle of Lake Erie came to an end, and American control of Michigan, northern Ohio, and the Old Northwest was assured.
To the left, just off the western tip of South Bass, is Green Island. Lighthouses on Green Island have guided vessels through the islands for decades. It is also the scene of some of the best walleye fishing on the Great Lakes. Green Island is owned by the State of Ohio. Starve is a tiny two acre island off the southern shore of South Bass Island.
Also visible in a southerly direction is Catawba Point and Marblehead Peninsula. Inside Sandusky Bay, off the south shore of Marblehead, is Johnson's Island. In October, 1861, Johnson's Island was designated as a Confederate prisoner of war camp and by 1863, when in full operation. As many as 2,600 Confederate officers and men were imprisoned there. Just off the northern tip of Catawba, near Miller's boat dock, is Mouse Island, named for its small size. At one time belonging to the Rutherford B. Hayes family, Mouse Island is now owned by a private corporation.
Having nearly 3,000 acres, Kelleys Island to the southeast is the largest of the American islands, being twice the size of South Bass. The most famous glacial grooves in the United States are found at Glacial Grooves State Park. Kelleys is also the site of Inscription Rock, 32 feet long and 21 feet wide. Inscription Rock is a pictographic history of the Erie Indian tribe. The Erie's, who gave their name to the lake, were wiped out on Kelleys Island in the 18th century by the mighty Iroquois nation.
Did You Know?
With the Amherstburg blockade by Oliver Hazard Perry, British commander Robert Barclay's supply line was cut. He needed food and equipment for his new flag ship the Detroit. By September 9, 1813 he was down to a day’s ration. So he removed the cannons from Fort Malden and placed them on the Detroit.