• Poplar Grove National Cemetery Luminary Event (photo courtesy of Joanne Williams)


    National Battlefield Virginia

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Attn. GPS Users - Advice for Seeking Directions to the Park

    If you are using a GPS unit, please click here: More »

  • Revised Superintendent's Compendium

    Aug. 2014: The superintendent's compendium has been revised to include regulations regarding unmanned aircraft (drones) in the park. More »

  • Event Cancellation: "Hard Liquor and Women" Walking Tour

    The walking tours which were scheduled to occur on Saturday, Oct. 4 in Old Towne Petersburg have been cancelled due to employee injury. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Permits and Special Park Use

Documentary Filming cropped

National Geographic filmmakers shooting documentary at PETE in 2011.


A special park use is a short-term activity that takes place in a park area and provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large. These activities require some degree of management from the National Park Service if there is the potential for interference with visitor use, congestion of a highly visited area, or possible impact on park resources. A Special Use Permit is required for weddings, commercial filming and/or photography, First Amendment activities, athletic and other special events.

A commercial activity, other than commercial filming or photography, requires a Commercial Use Authorization. For more information about a Commercial Use Authorization contact the Permits Coordinator at (804) 732-3531 ext. 204 or e-mail us

Click on the desired link for further information and printable permit application forms (the applications are in Adobe PDF format and you must have Adobe Acrobat to print them)

· Athletic and General Events

· Military Training and Events

· Wedding Information

· Filming and Photography

Completed applications or questions relating to special use permits may be directed to the Permits Coordinator:

Phone: (804) 732-3531 ext. 204

Fax: (804) 732-0835

E-Mail: e-mail us

Address: Petersburg National Battlefield

5001 Siege Road

Petersburg, VA 23803

Did You Know?

The Crater in Petersburg

The 4th Division of the Union 9th Corps lost 209 men killed and wounded at the Battle of the Crater. Poplar Grove National Cemetery is the resting spot for 331 United States Colored Troops. Most of these men are unidentified burials from the Crater battlefield. (Petersburg Nat'l Battlefield)