• Poplar Grove National Cemetery Luminary Event (photo courtesy of Joanne Williams)

    Petersburg

    National Battlefield Virginia

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Attn. GPS Users - Advice for Seeking Directions to the Park

    If you are using a GPS unit, please click here: More »

  • No Parking Available in the Eastern Front Unit August 2

    Free shuttle service will transport all visitors to and from the Eastern Front Unit on August 2 during 150th Anniv. of the Battle of the Crater events. Shuttles will depart from the Farmer's Market located at 9 Old St. in Old Towne Petersburg.

  • Eastern Front Unit Trails Closed to Horse Traffic on August 2

    Those who would like to ride horses at the park on Aug. 2 are encouraged to use the trails at Five Forks in Dinwiddie County as other trails will be closed to horses that day while the park commemorates the 150th Anniv. of the Battle of the Crater.

Lakes and Ponds

Hatcher's Run in Five Forks

Hatcher's Run in Five Forks

(NPS Photo)

During the siege of Petersburg (1864-65), there were more ponds and wetlands in the area that is now Petersburg National Battlefield than there are today. Both Confederate and Union troops constructed earthen dams to create standing water for both defensive and logistical purposes (water sources for troops and animals). However, today there are only a few small permanent ponds/lakes left on the battlefield's property.

Vernal (or temporary) ponds are more numerous, though. These ponds form in low points in especially wet seasons. These ponds play just as important of a role in the park's natural habitat as do the year-round ponds. They provide breeding ground and habitat for many types of amphibians and insects, and act as a source of food for other animals.

The most notable year-round body of water is present in the Five Forks unit. The pond has been created by a beaver dam that blocks Hatcher's Run. It teems with life, as can be seen in the number of fish species that occupy its waters.

Did You Know?

Richard Eppes, 1890s

Richard Eppes, owner of Appomattox Plantation, which is currently part of the Grant's HQ Unit of Petersburg National Battlefield, noted that it took 8,320 pounds of bacon each year to feed his 127 enslaved people in 1860.