Some rules are on park signs.
Petrified Forest National Park is mandated to protect and
preserve all park resources for today and for future generations. We need your
help! Please follow the below park regulations for your safety and for the
safety of park resources.
For more detailed information on park regulations, including
administratively closed areas, please review the Superintendent's
- Do not remove any natural or cultural object from the park,
including fossils, rocks, animals, plants, and artifacts. Do not relocate
objects within the park. This changes the context of the objects. Context,
where and how fossils and artifacts are found and described, is as important as
the objects themselves. It is a minimum fine of $325 for removal or damage to
petrified wood or other natural or cultural artifacts and features.
- Park in designated areas. Please do not stop or park in
the middle of the road.
- Vehicle travel is limited to the paved park road. Off-road
travel is not allowed. Obey posted speed limits.
- All vehicles, including buses, microbuses, and vans, are
prohibited from idling their engines for extended periods of time. Idling
cannot exceed 5 minutes during periods of inclement weather and 2 minutes at
all other times.
- Bicycles are permitted only on the established paved
roadway. Bicycles are not allowed on paved or dirt trails or off road at any
- Do not feed or approach wildlife. This protects the natural
feeding and behavior habits of the animals. Animals that beg for food can be
aggressive and may bite or harm people. Please do not allow your pets near
animals. Do not handle injured or dead animals.
- Pets must be leashed (no longer than 6 feet) and physically
restrained at all times. Pets are prohibited in buildings. Pets are allowed on
maintained trails. Pets may not be tied to an object and left unattended for
longer than 5 minutes. Please clean up after your pet.
- Please stay on trails and behind any barricades. Plants in
this environment grow by the inch and are destroyed by the foot. Don't let it
be your foot! Fragile soils and animal homes are also easily disturbed.
- Do not climb on prehistoric or historic walls.
- Do not harm or remove any petroglyphs. Direct physical
contact with rock art is prohibited.
- Petrified Forest National Park is only open to the public
for day use. Park access is prohibited during closed hours except by permit.
- Ground fires are prohibited at all times. The use of solar,
propane, and white gas fuel stoves and charcoal grills are allowed in
designated picnic areas. During periods of extreme fire danger, charcoal grills
- Do not litter. Use appropriate receptacles, including
recycling containers located at Painted Desert Visitor Center. Cigarette butts
are considered litter, too!
- Backpacking is allowed by permit only. A free permit can be
obtained at any Visitor Center facility no later than 1-hour before the park
- Carrying or use of firearms in federal
buildings is prohibited.
- The consumption of alcohol or the presence of open alcoholic
containers is prohibited, except in picnic areas or concession food service