The Code of Ethical Principles and Standards of Professional Practice adopted by the Association of
Fundraising Professionals (AFP) provides the moral framework in which its members generate philanthropic
support. AFP wants to foster the development and growth of fundraising professionals and the profession,
promotes ethical standards in the fundraising profession, and preserve and enhance philanthropy and volunteerism.
These AFP ethical principles and standards can serve as a useful guide to all those that are fundraising
to support our parks and programs. They can be used as a compass to help these fundraisers navigate sensitive
issues that can arise when raising funds, including professional obligations, solicitation and use of
philanthropic funds, donor confidentiality, accounting methods and reporting, and compensation.
Members of AFP are committed to the preservation and enhancement of volunteerism and hold stewardship of
these concepts as an overriding principle in their professional life. They recognize their responsibility
to ensure that the intent of the donor is honestly served and fulfilled.
AFP Members Principles of Professional Practice
- practice their profession with integrity, honesty, truthfulness and adherence to the absolute
obligation to safeguard the public trust;
- act according to the highest standards and visions of their organization, profession and conscience;
- put philanthropic mission above personal gain;
- inspire others through their own sense of dedication and high purpose;
- improve their professional knowledge and skills, so that their performance will better serve others;
- demonstrate concern for the interests and well being of individuals affected by their actions;
- value the privacy, freedom of choice and interests of all those affected by their actions;
- foster cultural diversity and pluralistic values, and treat all people with dignity and respect;
- affirm, through personal giving, a commitment to philanthropy and its role in society;
- adhere to the spirit, as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations;
- advocate within their organizations, adherence to all applicable laws and regulations;
- avoid even the appearance of any criminal offense or professional misconduct;
- bring credit to the fundraising profession by their public demeanor;
- encourage colleagues to embrace and practice these ethical principles and standards of professional
- be aware of codes of ethics promulgated by other professional organizations that serve philanthropy.
AFP Standards of Professional Practice