• young visitor petting horse

    Oxon Cove Park & Oxon Hill Farm

    Maryland

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • POSTPONED: September 20 Young African American Lecture Series

    The September 20 Young African American Lecture Series has been postponed. The first event in this series will now be held Saturday October 18, 2014. More »

  • Saturday October 4, 2014 Program Change

    Our Meet the Dairy Cow, Chicken Program, and Park's Past tour of the historic house will be offered on October 4, 2014. However, the Wagon Ride will not take place. Please call the park at 301.839.1176, if you have any questions.

Jacob Shaw

runaway ad
Ad for "runaway" Jacob Shaw published in the National Intelligencer, September 12, 1840.
Courtesy of the Maryland State Archives.
 

In 2005, Oxon Cove Park was accepted as a member of the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom for the discovery of the Jacob Shaw story. Jacob Shaw was enslaved on the Berry Plantation, which today comprises the southern most part of the park. Although there are no structures left from this period, there is a compelling story to be told. Programs about Jacob Shaw and his struggle for freedom will be presented by park staff in the coming year.

Thomas Berry owned a sizable slave labor force for much of the Ante-bellum Era. With other slaves toiling close to the Berry Plantation, particularly those on Dr. John Bayne's Salubria Plantation, cross-plantation communities among the enslaved peoples developed. These connections were important in escape attempts because blacks from neighboring plantations often sought freedom together. Indeed, when Bayne's slave Sam Tyler fled Salubria in December 1840, his owner suspected that he had run off with one of Berry's slave, a man named Jacob Shaw. Because Washington, D.C., a city that promised slaves who served in the army freedom, was close by, runaway slaves from these nearby plantations faced fewer obstacles than others from more distant areas.

Did You Know?

white farm house

The white farm house at Oxon Hill Farm was known as Mount Welby in the early 1800s. In 1891, Saint Elizabeths Hospital acquired Mount Welby and renamed it Godding Croft. The white farm house is the oldest structure in the park.