Oregon Caves National Monument Educational Fee Waiver Instructions
For more complete directions, read below.
The following information has been taken from National park Service Regulations (NPS-22). This is the guideline to be followed in granting education fee waivers. Bona fide educational or scientific institutions may qualify if the following conditions are met. Please Read Carefully. Your fee waiver cannot be processed without the following documents and forms. Applications must be received in the Superintendent's Office four weeks in advance of the anticipated visit. Refunds will not be granted. Fee waivers will not be given after arrival at the Monument.
Required Documents and Forms:
- Fee Waiver Application Form---pdf
- Current official documentation of recognition of affiliation as an educational institution by a Federal, State or local government entity, or other evidence attesting to educational status is attached (e.g. Accreditation Letter or an Educational Tax Exemption Letter). It is insufficient to merely state or imply this on official letterhead. *In previous years, we were able to hold this information on file from year to year, preventing schools from having to resubmit verification of being an accredited institution. Due to a recent audit, we are no longer able to provide this service. Documentation must be submitted with your fee waiver application.
- Provide documentation indicating that your organization is providing educational credit hours based on a specific course of instruction. The visit to Oregon Caves shall not be primarily for recreation purposes. This requirement can be met by stating your classroom lesson plan with specific state standards, the course number, description, and/or a copy of the catalog description for college courses.
- An explanation of what the educational purpose entails and how is related to the Park resources is required. Make sure to address how visiting Oregon Caves fits into your state standards and/or course requirements. There must be a direct relationship between the visit purpose and some aspect/resource specific to Oregon Caves. A general statement to the effect that the visit is for "educational purposes" is insufficient.
- If you plan on participating in the Curriculum-Based Education Program which occurs during May and June and September through early November, please visit For Teachers page and note that we also require a completed registration form with your packet.
The completed Fee Waiver packet should contain:
- Fee Waiver Application Form;
- Proof that your group is an educational organization, such as a letter of accreditation or an educational tax exemption letter. A tax-ID number is not sufficient;
- A copy of your lesson plan that includes national, state, or district standards;
- A statement indicating how visiting the Oregon Caves fits into your lesson plan.
Email the forms and accompanying documentation to the Education Coordinator. If you have questions about the fee waiver process call (541) 592-2100 ext. 2259.
Required Document to Distribute to the Group:
Chaperone's Guidelines, pdf
Chaperones are Required!
The number of Chaperones allowed for each waiver will be:
- College students - 1 Chaperone per 14 students
- High School students - 2 Chaperones per 13 students
- Elementary & Middle students - 2 Chaperones per 13 students
For example: an elementary school group of 20 students is accepted for a fee waiver. The 20 students may be accompanied by 4 Chaperones at no cost. Additional chaperones must pay the standard group fee to participate on a cave tour. A chaperone is defined as a teacher, teacher's aid, or parent helper.
When the Visit is Recreational...
You are entered as an "organized - noncommercial" group. The following fees are then in effect:
- $6.00 Adults, ages 17 and over
$4.00 Juniors, ages 16 and under
Fee waivers are not granted solely or partially on distance to their facilities and/or economic justification.
Organizations that are generally considered service, civic, or fraternal, e.g. Scouting, Rotary, Elks, and so forth do not qualify for the educational fee waiver, unless they met the above applicable criteria.