• Olympic: Three Parks in One


    National Park Washington

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Spruce Railroad Trail Closed from Lyre River Trailhead to Devil’s Punchbowl

    The trail will be closed for improvements from the Lyre River TH to approximately 0.25 miles east of Devil’s Punchbowl. Work is expected to be completed by the end of October. The remainder of the trail will be accessible from the Camp David Jr. Road TH. More »

  • Safety Advisory: Mountain Goats

    NPS has received reports of aggressive mountain goats near trails at Hurricane Ridge, Royal Basin, Seven Lakes Basin, Lake of the Angeles, & Grand Pass. Visitors are required to maintain a distance of at least 50 yards from all wildlife. More »


Wilderness Camping Permits are required for all overnight trips into the wilderness backcountry of Olympic National Park.

A wilderness camping fee is charged for all permits and includes a $5 permit registration fee, plus $2 per person per night. There is no nightly charge for people 15 years old and under.

Check the Wilderness Trip Planner for more information on visiting and enjoying the Olympic Wilderness.


Special Park Use permits are required for some activities such as special events and commercial filming and photography. Applications for permits should be submitted to the appropriate park official well in advance for consideration and processing.

Special Use Permits are required for special events such as weddings and other ceremonies, meetings, gatherings, distribution of printed material and other public expressions of views, memorializations such as the scattering of ashes from human cremations, and other activities that are otherwise controlled or prohibited. To apply for a Special Use Permit for a special event such as a wedding, contact the park at (360) 565-3090 or c/o Olympic National Park, 600 East Park Avenue, Port Angeles, WA 98362.

Commercial Filming Permits are required (with some exceptions) for all commercial filming and photography within the park. More info.

Commercial Use Authorizations are required before conducting any commercial business activity within the park. For more information and to apply for a Commercial Use Authorization, contact the Concessions Specialist at (360) 565-3007 or c/o Olympic National Park, 600 East Park Avenue, Port Angeles, WA 98362.

Scientific or Research Permits are required before conducting any research within the park. An online application process is administered nationally, but we recommend that you also contact the park's Research Coordinator Jerry Freilich at (360) 565-3082 for more information and to help facilitate the application process.

Each permit application is peer reviewed, so please allow at least three to four weeks for processing time.

Did You Know?

DYK fisher release

Fishers (members of the weasel family, related to minks and otters) were reintroduced to Olympic National Park in 2008-10. They are native to the forests of Washington, including the Olympic Peninsula, but disappeared due to overtrapping in the late 1800s/early 1900s and habitat loss.