Freeing the Elwha (A Trip to Olympic National Park and the Elwha River)
OverviewWhere in the world are Olympic National Park and the Elwha River?
In this lesson students will use web resources to find Olympic National Park and the Elwha River on a map. Students will generate a map which they will use as part of a in a travel brochure they will create for Olympic National Park and the Elwha River Valley.
- Access to the internet/printer
- Travel brochures as examples
- 8.5 X 14 papers for brochures
- Basic art supplies -colored pencils, markers, glue, scissors
- Student pages (printable handout)
- Reflection Journal pages (printable handout)
Introduce Essential Question and Guiding Question.
Brainstorm some things travelers would want to know about an area they are going to visit and have students research those features in Olympic National Park and the Elwha Valley. Students will include those items along with the maps in a travel brochure they are going to create.
Have students take a few minutes to respond to the second Reflection Journal page.
Reflection Journal Pages (rubric included)
Brochure (rubric included)