Francis Scott Key Park
The small but formal park and memorial is located at 34th and M Street, NW, Washington DC, in the Georgetown neighborhood. The site includes a bronze bust of Francis Scott Key, wayside exhibits explaining his story, and an American flag depicting the year 1814 when Key penned his now famous poem.
Author of the Star Spangled Banner, Francis Scott Key and his family lived in a house practically bordering the contemporary memorial from circa 1805 to 1830. After serving as a series of private businesses, the house was eventually dismantled and stored at the location of the memorial in 1947 for the construction of the Whitehurst Freeway.
The small but formal park and memorial to Francis Scott Key was built by the Francis Scott Key Foundation and donated to the National Park Service in 1993.
For a long time, there was controversy surrounding the loss of Francis Scott Key's house. Learn this story: What happened to the house?
Did You Know?
The stones for the Old Stone House are comprised of local quarried material, stones from the surrounding region, as well as from ballast stones that came off of English sailing vessels