Photo 1: The Prudence Crandall Museum.
Questions for Photos 1 and 2
1. How would you describe this building? Does it look like a typical school? Explain your answer.
2. Where was the school located in the village of Canterbury? Why might Canterbury's citizens have purchased an existing house at this location to serve as the new school?
3. At one time, 24 students lived and attended school here. Based on these photos, do you think that this arrangement would have been difficult? Why or why not?
4. Where in the house do you think students slept? Where do you think the classrooms might have been located? Why?
* The photos on the screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Photo 1 and Photo 2, but be aware that each file will take as much as two minutes to load with a 28.8K modem.