The Joneses had embellished their lot with additional furnishings, much as they had decorated their home.
Questions for Photo 1 and Drawings 5 & 6
1. What objects do you see in Photo 1, and what would they have been used for?
2. What do the people in Drawing 5 appear to be doing? Are they paying any attention to the monument? What does this indicate about how people used the cemetery?
3. Can you identify the architectural style of the monument in Drawing 5? (Use additional sources to find out if you're not sure.)
4. Study Drawing 6. Can you identify the architectural style of the entrance gate? (Use additional sources to find out if you're not sure.) Why might they have chosen that style?
5. What does the guide book cover tell you about some of the people who wanted to visit Mount Auburn? What edition is the guide book? What does this indicate about the popularity of the cemetery? How is this book similar to modern vacation guides?
6. After having seen Drawings 5 and 6, who do you think might visit the Jones Lot in Photo 1?
* The photo and drawings on this screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Photo 1, Drawing 5, and Drawing 6 but be aware that each file will take as much as 53 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.