Questions for Photo 2
1. What words would you use to describe this house?
2. The original farmhouse that James Roosevelt purchased in 1867 is concealed by impressive renovations dating from 1915. Why do you think Sara Roosevelt and her son, Franklin, choose this style of architecture rather than leaving the building as a farmhouse?
3. Besides the need to modernize plumbing and introduce electricity to the house, what other events in Franklin Roosevelt's life might have prompted this 1915 renovation?
4. What challenges did Springwood present to the partially paralyzed Franklin Roosevelt?
5. Knowing that Franklin Roosevelt and his family lived in this house and its surroundings, explain how you think he could possibly have understood the problems of a third of his nation, Depression-era American families who were out of work, out of hope, ill-housed, ill-clad, and ill-fed?
* The photo on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Photo 2, but be aware that the file will take as much as 28 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.