1. Locate the Aleutian Islands in an atlas or on a large-scale map of the Pacific Ocean. Determine the names of the two closest large land masses.
2. On your atlas or map, also note the location of the Aleutians relative to the coast of Japan, as well as their relationship to the mainland of the United States. Does this give you a sense of how remote Attu is?
3. How would this location determine the climate of the island?
4. Now examine Map 1 carefully. What is the distance between Attu and the Alaskan mainland?
5. How might the military transport troops and supplies to Attu? How difficult do you think this might be?
* The map on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Map 1, but be aware that the file may take as much as 45 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.