Map 1: Tennessee and surrounding region.
Map 1 is based on a map Jedidiah Hotchkiss, a mapmaker for the Confederate army, drew in 1880. Chattanooga stands at the southern gateway to the Cumberland and Allegheny Mountains. It also has a natural port on the Tennessee River.
Questions for Map 1
1. What states are near Chattanooga?
2. What prominent natural features are near Chattanooga?
3. How do these features help explain Chattanooga's appeal as a rail center?
4. In the 1840s, a resident of Chattanooga said the city was located at the "funnel of the universe." What did he mean?
5. Can you find another location on this map that has similar natural advantages?
* The map on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Map 1, but be aware that the file may take as much as 40 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.