Photo 5: Saint-Gaudens' preliminary model for
$20 gold piece.
Questions for Photos 5 & 6
1. What observations can you make about the early model?
2. What changes were made between the model and the finished product? What might account for these changes?
3. Does the finished coin appear to satisfy the criteria Saint-Gaudens outlined in his letter to President Roosevelt?
4. How would you describe the finished coin?
5. How are a bas-relief sculpture and a coin similar?
6. Take out a coin and compare the images of today's coins to the coins designed by Saint-Gaudens. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you recognize any of the people on the coins? What symbolic images do you notice?
* The photos on this screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Photo 5 and Photo 6, but be aware that each file will take as much as 30 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.