Photo 4: Samuel G. Ward, by Augustus Saint-Gaudens.
Questions for Photos 4
1. How would you define "bas-relief" based on this image? How is this form of sculpture different from the Adams Memorial?
2. Who is the person in the bas-relief? What might the bas-relief indicate about the nature of this person?
3. What inscriptions or markings can you read on the bas-relief?
4. Does this image look realistic? What is your opinion of the work?
5. How does a bas-relief differ from a photograph? a painting?
* The photo on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Photo 4, but be aware that the file will take as much as 35 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.