Map 2: The Mississippi Delta, 1720.
Questions for Map 2
1. Locate Lake Pontchartrain, Bayou St. John, the lower Mississippi River, the Gulf of Mexico, and New Orleans.
2. If you wanted to control traffic and trade on the Mississippi River, where would you locate a city? Why?
3. Would there be advantages in locating a city closer to the mouth of the river? What are some possible problems with that location?
4. What are some possible advantages of the site that was selected for New Orleans?
* The map on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Map 2, but be aware that the file may take as much as 60 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.