Map 3: Plan of New Orleans, 1720.
Questions for Map 3
1. Locate the open square near the river. What activities might it have been used for?
2. What natural features surround the Vieux Carré? If needed, see Map 2.
3. What effect might the wet conditions have on the way the Vieux Carré developed?
4. This plan does not show the forts established to protect the city, but it does indicate the military presence. Locate the military structures.
5. What evidence can you find that demonstrates the French influence in Vieux Carré?
* The map on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Map 3, but be aware that the file may take as much as 60 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.