Map 2: Southern part of Big Bend.
Questions for Map 2
1. Locate Castolon; Santa Elena (in Mexico); the Rio Grande; Terlingua Abaja, a farming community that grew up along Terlingua creek; and Terlingua, a mining community.
2. Why do you think so many of the settlements were located on or near a river?
3. Many of the streams in this area run only intermittently. What does that you tell about the local climate?
4. Which direction do you think the streams flow? What does this tell you about the terrain? In particular, where are the highest elevations within the park?
* The map on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Map 2, but be aware that the file may take as much as 15 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.