Map 2: White Haven Farm, 1850s.
White Haven farm is located near St. Louis, Missouri. In the early 19th century, it belonged to a slave owner named Frederick Dent. Dent’s daughter, Julia, married a future U.S. president, Ulysses S. Grant. Ulysses and Julia lived at Hardscrabble, a house on the property, in the 1850s.
Questions for Map 2
1) What buildings do you see on the map? List them.
2) Who do you think lived at White Haven? In what buildings did they live?
3) What kinds of work do you think the enslaved residents did outdoors? What evidence makes you think so?
4) What kinds of work might an enslaved person at White Haven done inside the main house?
* Click for a larger versions of Map 2.