Map 1: State Secessions, 1860-1861.
(Library of Congress)
Questions for Map 1
1) Where are the Confederate slave states? Where are the Union free states? How many slave states were loyal to the Union ("border" states)?
2) Find Missouri on the map. What kind of state was Missouri at the start of the Civil War?
3) Identify the city of St. Louis, Missouri, on the map. What states is it between?
4) How might living across a river from a free state benefit people held in slavery in Missouri? How could it be different to be enslaved in a border state versus enslaved in Alabama or Georgia?
* Click for larger versions of Map 1.