How to Use the Images
Photo 2 and 3
Illustration 1: “The Temptation”
(Courtesy of The Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library, Staunton, VA)
This cartoon appeared in Life magazine in 1911.
Questions for Illustration 1
1. Look carefully at this cartoon and describe in your own words what you see. It may be helpful to divide it into sections and list what you see in each one. What do you think it shows?
2. Who is being tempted? Who is doing the tempting? What is the temptation?
3. How does the woman appear to be reacting?
4. Cartoons often use symbols to carry their message. What symbols can you identify?
5. Do you think the artist supported or opposed women’s suffrage? Explain how you reached your conclusion.
6. Imagine replacing the image of the woman with one of a man. How do you think that would affect the message of the cartoon?
Click for a larger version of Illustration 1.