How to Use the Images
Photo 2 and3
Photo 1: Brown Chapel AME Church
(Alabama Historical Commission)
Questions for Photo 1
1. Look at this image carefully and describe what you see in your own words. What does the size and design of this building suggest about the importance of the church in Selma’s African-American community?
2. Review Reading 2. How many references can you find to Brown Chapel (often called simply “the church”)? What occurred there?
3. The congregation at Brown Chapel voted to allow their church to be used for the voting rights campaign, but some other congregations voted against participation. Why might other churches have wanted not to be involved? Why might Brown Chapel have agreed? What advantages might Brown Chapel have had as a center of the movement (refer to Map 2, if necessary?
4. Christian ministers, including Andrew Young, Martin Luther King, Jr., Ralph Abernathy, C. T. Vivian, and Frederick Reese, played important roles in the civil rights movement. Why do you think that was the case?
* The image on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Photo 1 , but be aware that the file will take as much as 21 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.