In Map 4, the Illinois' results are shown by county.
1. Using Map 3 determine how many slave states there were. How many free states were there?
2. Where was the area over which the issue of slavery was most hotly contested during that period? If needed, please refer to Setting the Stage.
3. How do the election results in Map 4 compare with the slave and free states distribution in Map 3?
4. Look at the county results for Lincoln's home state of Illinois on Map 4. What does this illustrate about the views of the voting population of Illinois?
* The maps on this screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Map 3 and Map 4, but be aware that each file may take as much as 40 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.