In this illustration groups of short lines beginning at the top of a slope and ending at the bottom are used to represent higher elevations.
Questions for Illustration 1
1. What can you infer about the terrain that the Santa Fe Trail passes through? Why do you think the Trail follows Apache Creek?
2. Can you identify the sharp turns that the 1844 traveler on the Trail mentioned in his account? Why do you think turns would have been a problem for a wagon train?
3. Find Apache Creek and Apache Canyon on this map. What difficulties do you think an army moving through the canyon might have encountered?
4. Trace the route followed by Chivington's Colorado volunteers. What difficulties do you think they would have encountered? Why do you think there were so few men guarding the Confederate baggage train?
* The image on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Illustration 1, but be aware that the file will take as much as 35 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.