[graphic] South and West Texas
 [graphic] Texas Home  [graphic] List of Sites  [graphic] Maps  [graphic] Itineraries  [graphic] NR Home

[graphic] Previous Site

[graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Next Site

[photo] Fort Leaton
Courtesy of Texas Parks & Wildlife
Fort Leaton State Historic Site is one of several early private forts established along the Chihuahua Trail on the western frontier of Texas. In 1848 Fort Leaton was built as the home and trading post of Ben Leaton. The post was abandoned in 1926. Although Fort Leaton was never an official military installation, troops were stationed there throughout its history, and the Texas Rangers used it as their headquarters. The massive adobe ruins remain to illustrate the original compound of more than 25 rooms arranged around a central courtyard. The buildings were constructed of adobe walls with mud roofs supported by vigas, or beams, covered by saplings.

Fort Leaton is located four miles southeast of Presidio on FM 170 and is open 8:00am to 4:30pm daily; closed Christmas. There is a fee for admission. For further information call 432-229-3613 or visit the fort's website. Fort Leaton has also been documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey.


Texas Home | List of Sites | Maps | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site

Comments or Questions



[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to nps.gov