[graphic] South and West Texas
 [graphic] Texas Home  [graphic] List of Sites  [graphic] Maps  [graphic] Itineraries  [graphic] NR Home

[graphic] Previous Site

[graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Next Site

[photo] [photo] Aerial and streetscape views of the East End Historic District
Photos courtesy of Galveston Historical Foundation
Galveston, for many years the state's largest city, flourished as a port, financial center and trading emporium, with all of Texas as its hinterland. Many of its 19th-century leading citizens built impressive houses in the east end of the city, especially along Broadway. The ornate Victorian Gresham House, or Bishop's Palace (1887-1893), is one of the grandest. It and many other houses in the area were designed by Nicholas J. Clayton, the state's first professional architect. Other notable buildings in the district include the Greek Revival style Wilbur Cherry House, one of the earliest houses in the district built from 1852 to 1854; the 1886 Landes-McDonough House, a pressed-brick Romanesque style house designed by architect George Dickey for Henry A. Landes, a wealthy wholesaler, cotton factor and shipper with his own fleet; the c. 1890 John C. Trube House, an eclectic combination of Gothic and Moorish design with a mansard roof and nine gables designed by Alfred Muller; and the 1901 Art Nouveau Lucas Apartments.

East End Historic District, a National Historic Landmark, forms an irregular pattern including both sides of Broadway and Market sts. in Galveston. Many buildings in the district are private residences and not open to the public. Several tour companies offer guided tours. For more information visit their website.


Texas Home | List of Sites | Maps | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site

Comments or Questions



[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to nps.gov